Thread: Carb Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
holdover

Default Re: Carb Rebuild

Do this in a very well ventilated area, outside of the garage works best for me. I use Simple Green which is sold most every where. I suppose Mr Clean or any such cleaner should work, or professional carb cleaner that you can get at the better auto part stores, It is a soap based type of cleaner. I place the carb and parts in a clean SS bowl on a hot plate pour enough liquid to cover (you can do more than one at a time) and bring the liquid to just before a boil. I remove all the jets etc so the liquid gets into all the passages. Before I place it in the bowl I remove all the grime from the outside with a wire brush. I let it sit in the solution for about 2 hours simmering. You won't believe how much dirt is removed. (Caution it will be hot) After I remove it, I first blow out all the passages and probe the passages with a bent paper clip and blow again, safety glasses or a shield would be a good idea. I then rinse it with water and again blow out the passages, after which I place it back in the bowl with clean water and bring it to a boil to remove any residue from the cleaning process, then blow it out with air once more till dry. After an inspection to make sure everything is OK I paint the outside with lacquer paint and start the rebuild, or set it aside for a later time in a dry place.

Last edited by holdover; 11-07-2019 at 04:16 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote