View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #18
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Default Re: Installing a synchro Ford trans in an A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
That first photo looks like you have a 1932 - 1933 4 cylinder Model B transmssion with synchro gears inside. That bellhousing should bolt to the A engine using a B oil pan. I don't think you need another bellhousing adapter.

I think you need to just buy the pedal adapter the wishbone mount and the emergency brake bracket from Berts, or use an emergency brake from a 1933-1934 Ford. That mounts to the transmission top and has a built in pawl.
Yes, it is a 32 4-cylinder transmission. I also have the 'B' flywheel housing and the 'B' pan.

Comparing the 'B' FW housing to a Model 'A' housing, the B is 3/4" narrower across the engine mounting points, the engine mounts on the FW housing are located vertically different between the two, the bolt locations also different. New engine mount would have to be fabricated.

Then you have to deal with the radius ball attachment. Without the full diameter FW housing, there is very little 'meat' left where the ball would be attached, just the bottom of the bell housing. Same problem with the clutch and brake mount: attaching it to the side of the bell housing without the support of the full diameter FW housing (although not as bad as the radius ball mount).

Then comes the pan! The diameter of the rear main on the A is smaller than the B, and something would have to be done to the rear of the pan to make it fit down on the cork gasket on the A rear main.

Somebody clue me in if what I am seeing isn't right!

Sure would be nice to have a Model A FW housing that would fit the 32 trans! Fat chance!

Bill Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8263A.jpg (50.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8264A.jpg (43.8 KB, 75 views)