View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #20
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: '55 Ford car instrument repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaybo View Post
Did I miss the reason for the burnt wire? did you fix that and add a fuse in line?
You did, because you didn't see the video (because I haven't posted it anywhere).
Removing the black/green wire from the harness and replacing it with a new wire & terminals was a complete success. There are no problems with the gauges or anything else.
The only thing I can think of is that the black/green wire may have become too stressed during the installation, causing the insulation to tear inside the wire harness. This would not have happened if I had wired the instrument cluster from under the dash. But that is not the way I have ever done it. I always pull the instrument cluster out of the dash and set it on top of the steering column to disconnect wiring and bulbs from the cluster and reinstall the wiring in the same way.
Even though the wire harness is no longer held in place by the wiring hooks at that point, the harness is still pretty unforgiving as far as flexibility. The guage wires get stretched pretty bad. Many years ago on a different '55 Ford, I extended those two black/green wires with butt splices to relieve some of the stress and never had a problem and had much more room to work as far as tilting the cluster while connecting everything.
But now, with this car, since the new power wiring for the gauges is separate from the harness, there won't be a problem if I ever need to do this again.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote