View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Abrupt stop in reverse gear

I had a similar situation with my coupe only it was the pinion bearings. The bearing cages had disintegrated and the rollers were loose in the bottom of the banjo and now and then one would jump between the gears. I was driving 5mph and it almost put me through the windshield. I the embarked on one the most complex jobs one can do to an A. I put new rear gears in it! 3.54s to be exact and now I love it! Next time I try this, I will use 3.27s However, I have a set of 3.78s (Not the old, ruined ones) which I will sell for a reasonable price.
It's a lot of ball busting work and you can't do it overnight, but well worth the time and effort. Good Luck!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
Saw a similar problem several years ago. Opening the rear end revealed several teeth broken off the pinion and several damaged teeth on the ring gear. Further investigation revealed that although the pinion preload nut and its corresponding jam nut were locked together by the "winged washer" they had not been properly torqued together to lock them to the threads of the pinion and were moving as a unit allowing the pinion to move in relation to its mesh with the ring gear until its mechanical limits were exceeded.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote