View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #51
blucar

Default Re: y-block blow by..

I have had a lot of experience with the Ford Y-block's, have had one or more in my life since 1959, currently have three F100's, '59- 63.
Many years ago I found out that the pre '63 Y-blocks were very dirty engine because the engine had poor ventilation.
In most cases I harvested the PCV systems from a '63 or later F series truck, installing same on my 56-57 T-birds and 59 and later F series trucks. I have one '59 F100 4x that I used a variation of a GM PCV in the right side valve cover. Blocked off the road draft tube located on the lower left side of the block, used a vented/filtered cap on the oil fill tube and a GM PCV and grommet in the valve cover.
I located the PCV between two rocker arms and made a baffle for the bottom of the valve cover, at high RPM's there is a lot of oil flying around the rocker arm chamber.

In order for a PCV system to work it must be able to draw fresh air through the crankcase/valley, (filtered cap on fill pipe) then into the intake, via the PCV, where it is consumed via the intake/fuel process.
Most people want to over engineer the system..