View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
BadgerA

Default CCPU Technical Questions

I am going to be restoring a late 30 CCPU and have some questions for those of you familiar with these vehicles. I intent to restore this vehicle to near fine point status. Accordingly I have some specific questions as follows:

1-Color Options & Paint Questions

According to the paint and finish guide, there were only three color options in 1930, rock moss, blue rock green, and black. However, in the DeAngelis book it also lists copra drab. Which is accurate?

In 31, Ford "opened the spigot" on color choice options. When was this change formally instituted? Was there a clean break in January of 31,, or was it late in 30?

As we all know, the vast majority of these restored trucks are over restored with too glossy of paint. I am aware that supposed Ford offered the option of buffing out the late trucks. When was this offered? Was the top and inside of the bed left un buffed, which would make sense?

Were the insides of the cabs always body color? Some have told me that they were also black depending on the body color?

The cab to box splash shield was black. Was this dipped enamel like the lights, fenders, running boards, dispatch box,, etc?

2-Body Change Over
We know Ford used the flat firewall until around May of 31. When did they make the crossover from the 30 splash apron and fenders, to 31 style? Was there carry over into 31 to use up the 30 items or was there a clean break in January? I.E., were there early 31s (and expanded color options) in early 31 with the "old style" fenders and aprons?

I am aware that "you can paint it and do whatever you want", but I want to be accurate to known Ford plans. Is there a good source of information regarding the proper restoration of the commercial vehicles? The only book I am aware of is questionable at best.

Let the games begin,,,, and thanks in advance for your feedback!
BadgerA is offline   Reply With Quote