View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #172
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Just wondering : what's your year of birth ?

Greetings my fellow Barners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First I want to apologize for my unexpected absence from the Barn, I didn't have time to say' see ya' later!!!...and the reason was, I will get into that later and it sort of coincides with this thread.
Love this thread, shows how many whippersnappers are on here, even down to 1928 and then there have a been a couple trying to do some bullshitting too.

My birth year is, I think, 1900. It was given to me when I went to enlist. I never ever asked Ma what year I was born in, I just asked her how old I was. I was able to determine 1900 because, I had to leave home rather abruptly, no different from my absence from the Barn. See, there were two farmers that each had daughters and shotguns and I knew that I either had to get out of Texas or join the Army. I joined the Army instead and found myself a bit later with Gen Jack riding across the Rio Grande on a Punitive Action against Poncho Villa for his raid into New Mexico. We crossed the Rio in 1916 and I was 16 at the time and I counted back and ended up at 1900.
Here's a photo of me and Gen Jack crossing the Rio Grande.....I'm on the left and front.

It was a learning experience for me venturing into Mexico, the most important thing I found out was, Mexican fathers didn't carry shotguns, they carried machetes!!!! I'm glad the Great War came along when it did, we were recalled and Gen Jack and myself headed to France.

Now to get to the reason I departed when I did. I received a warning notice for recall from our new CinC and I immediately started preparing my gear (kit) in the british Army for my departure sometime in May and I'm rejoining my regiment and we're heading back to the......Mexican border on patrol. Got my old saddle down from the attic, dug out my ole uniform, sewed up some moth holes and put them in the cleaners. I found out that a luggage rack on a Model A Ford is not always a luggage rack but more a baggage and saddle rack too.

Ed, the Elder....................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote