View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #32
fred93

Default Re: Ignition timing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I have never seen a timing pin as shown in the first picture in post #12 slide in that deep. Even when it has seated in the dimple, there is usually an 1/8th inch or more of the shaft showing. This one is right down to the base. Is it a stock timing pin? I don't have the measurement handy, but my best guess is that the length of the pin is about 1 1/4 inches from the base to the tip. If your pin is too short and it's bottoming our on the timing cover, it can't drop into the dimple on the timing gear.
Thanks for your reply--

I have no idea if the timing pin is stock. I can feel the pin fall into the dimple as I turn the crank, so I know that it is on top dead center.

I don't know why I have 50* of travel but I do have that much. At this point all I need to do is make sure that the advanced figure (with lever all the way down) is not too much advance timing. If 35* is ok then I can leave it the way it is right now. I don't see a problem having too retarded timing when starting the engine?

I can't see where making the slot in the distributor cap bigger would make any difference. The tabs on the steering column are what determines the total travel.