View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #26
fred93

Default Re: Ignition timing question

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Fred-
The stock Model A distributor spark lever is *supposed* provide a total of 40 crank degrees of timing change (20 degrees of rotor change). So if you are starting at 5* AFTER TDC at the top, moving the timing lever all the way down should bring you to 35* BEFORE TDC.

Please check the readings that you report above again.

You should not be able to go from 5* ATDC to 45* BTDC. That is 50* of change. Something is not right. Maybe you misread something or wrote it down wrong.

Thanks for your reply--

Please check post #19 item number 1.That reading was somewhat of a guess because the Nu-Rex degree indicator only goes up to 15* retarded. The reading with the lever all the way down was definitely at 5* retarded because I could see the yellow paint mark line up with the 5* retarded mark on the degree indicator. So that reading may not have been correct.

I did another adjustment today and I came up with 15* retarded with the lever all the way up and 35* advanced with the lever all the way down. That works out to be a total range of 50* from lever up to lever down. That range matches the first adjustment that I made (post #19, item number 2). So that means that the first reading must have been lever up--55* retarded lever down 5* retarded.

That still gives me a total range of 50*. That range seems larger than what it should be?

According to the Nu-Rex instruction sheet "the total range of steering column spark control is approximately 40* of crankshaft travel". Why am I having 50* of travel?

Since this car belongs to a friend of mine I would rather have the total advanced reading at 30* or 35*. He is a "lever up to start and a lever down to drive" type of person, so you can see where I am going with this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing.jpg (57.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Nu-Rex.jpg (46.9 KB, 34 views)