View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
fred93

Default Re: Ignition timing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Northport View Post
If you use a timing light. you will need a degree indicator that mounts to the front of the engine and sits over the crank pulley. NuRex sells them. The timing can be adjusted in small increments if you have it set manually to a close degree. Full retard should be about -5 degrees. Full advance should be about 22-24 degrees. NEVER 40 degrees as someone suggested. You would burn the engine up and melt the exhaust. My shop times every car to those specs and they all run and start great.
Thanks Bob--Yes I have the NuRex Timing set-up.

The owner is complaining that the car lacks power. I wanted to see where the timing is currently set before I start changing anything.

I set up a "test light" and I checked the timing that way first. I had no light with the lever up all the way. The light did not come on until the lever was almost to the lowest position. I assumed that the timing is way retarded, but I will be hooking up a "timing light" to actually see how far off it really is.

Once I had find where the timing is right now, then I will start making my adjustments.

My reason for the original question was that I wanted to have a target to aim for.

I checked the compression and came up with #1--60psi #2--55psi #3--55psi #4--53psi (these figure were when the engine was cold--I know that it is normally done with the engine at operating temp but I had the spark plugs out to check them and I didn't want to put them back in (hindsight is always better than foresight) I will be checking the compression again at normal temp later).

I noticed that the spark plugs were very sooty, like it has been run too rich, however that could also be caused by incorrect timing? I will be installing new plugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7351.jpg (78.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7324.jpg (22.6 KB, 44 views)