View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #143
HarveyH

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

I'd hate to see this thread die from inactivity so I'll reenergize it by posting my story...

I've had a set of Wagon Works "Huckster Van" plans since 2008. I picked up a restorable 1930 chassis in 2009 and it is now completely rebuilt and ready for the body, which I have not yet started.

The engine has been rebuilt with a counterbalanced crankshaft, a lightened flywheel with a V-8 pressure plate, one of Jim Brierley's "B"-grind cams, a 5.5:1 Snyder head, an oil filter adapter, 12V alternator, and an FS Ignitions auto-advance distributor. These mods are not intended to boost the horsepower as much as they are to "update" Henry's design. Except for the oil filter and alternator, the engine still looks mostly stock on the outside. I intend to include a Mitchell transmission but I haven't bought it yet.

The chassis is also mostly stock but I've installed modern (tubular) shocks on all four corners.

And being in the south, I plan to install an air conditioner. (Hardly an option down here!) Since it's practically impossible to find a leakless original gas tank these days (plus, I have yet to find anyone who hasn't been disappointed with tank sealers), I intend to install a custom fuel tank between the chassis rails and mount the air conditioner blower assembly within the hollowed-out stock gas tank. The stock Model A dash panel will be retained which will preserve the cab's original interior appearance.

I've learned that White Oak is best suited for outdoor use since it doesn't discolor from moisture absorption like Red Oak does, as others have previously noted in this thread. Therefore, I plan to build my body using White Oak with a Red Oak-tinted polyurethane finish. I hope to start on the body this Winter.

One of my hobbies is building and flying radio-controlled model airplanes and this Huckster is going to be my "Wooden Flight Box".

This Huckster is not my first Model A. My first is a WWII aircraft tug based on Model A running gear. (But don't you dare call it a Doodlebug! These tugs were factory-built by the hundreds during the war.)

Harvey

Last edited by HarveyH; 08-19-2013 at 09:01 PM.
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote