View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #403
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Another Fog Incident.

I was due to start a spray job early one winters morning. It was foggy so I didn’t get out of bed. The phone rang and the farmer was demanding to know why I hadn’t turned up. I enquired with him about fog and yes he said it was foggy at his place too but still thought I should be there. He was a bit hostile. He called yet again and yes it was still foggy. I endeavoured to explain that I wouldn’t even find his farm under the fog let alone his airstrip. He couldn’t understand that.
My loader driver’s name was Mark, young and off a farm. I called Mark and asked he proceed out and asked him to call me when the fog cleared. Eventually he did so, I took off through the fog at my base using the big yellow ball in the sky as a visual reference, cleared the fog which was thick and proceeded to the job. On arrival he demanded an explanation but still was not convinced. He was young and the third generation on that farm. He thought he was most important.
Loader driver Mark has had an interesting life. I must write about him.
I had another incident with fog at Morundah where I landed in the street of this small town. I did write about it earlier.

Footnote. We all have heard of the third generation syndrome. The founder starts a business including farming, the second builds on it. The third either runs it down or destroys it. I find the third generation sometimes comes in with a big ego and the feeling of self importance. Thankfully there are exceptions.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote