View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
PeteVS

Default Re: Best quality rattle can paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
I don't rattle can much as I haven't been doing much of that kind of work but I totally gave up on Rustoleum because the nozzles kept clogging, despite cleaning. It sends me over the top to spend 7 or 8 bucks on a can only to have it clog permanently mid job. I believe Kube had that same complaint sometime ago in another thread. I don't recall the brand of the last can I bought but it worked fine for its application clog free. I'll see if I can find it.
I posted about this a couple of years ago. I had been using Rustoleum with the same nozzle problems. It seems that they "improved" the product my making it so it would paint "in any position." They did this by making the straw inside the can very large. Once you pressed the button, that big straw would fill up with a ton of paint and you could turn the can upside down and paint all day. But that big straw made it impossible to simply turn the can upside down, push the nozzle for a couple of seconds and have the propellant blow the nozzle clean.

My initial fix was to pop the nozzle off, throw it in a small bottle with some mineral spirits, shake the bottle, retrieve the nozzle, blow the solvent out and then gently place the nozzle back on the can. When this was working, I'd keep using that nozzle on successive cans, saving the "virgin" nozzles.

I also ran into a problem with a single can of Krylon that I bought. I let that nozzle clog and none of my extra Rustolem nozzles would fit the Krylon can. I took one of the Rustoleum nozzles and gently drilled it out with a 5/32" drill where it goes onto the can. Worked well.

Then, I found at Harbor Freight a 3M aerosol "spray gun cleaner" which is aerosols acetone. It comes with a skinny tube that fits into older "regular" nozzles. I have some 1/8" diameter Teflon tubing that I had bought as a paint pick up tube for an air brush. It fits over the 3M tube and into the old Rustoleum nozzles. Works great.

Now back to paint brands: I started buying Seymour brand on Amazon. I love it but I can't say how well it lasts. With Prime, it doesn't cost an arm and leg to ship. And, I can invert the can to blow the nozzle clean but I still pop it off and blow the 3M stuff through it anyway.

Last edited by PeteVS; 01-07-2022 at 10:52 AM.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote