View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Ian1932

Default Re: Painting Over Water !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
You can also use a conversion coating before priming. On steel I use Ospho. I always wipe my stuff down with prep sol before I shoot it and have never had a problem with condense. I don't completely agree that there will be differences in temperatures of materials due to different compositions. So if you move a project from the shade out into the sun, then it might condense a bit before it equalizes in temperature but it doesn't take long to heat up down here in south Texas. If you use a paint booth then stuff should stay at equal temps.

Capillary action can hold moisture in the joints between pieces of overlapping metal but it will dry out if a person hits it with compressed air several times and allows a dwell time before prepping to shoot the primer. I have never shot material over something that was wet with water before wiping or spraying it down again with prep sol and letting it dry out.
Prep sol is a great product especially for removing oils and contaminates. Also, the region on where one is painting will be the largest factor. Mostly it comes down to if your metal is colder than the air moving across it, it is wet!
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote