View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #36
Los_Control

Default Re: A few questions on a 8BA

Well it has been awhile since I have posted. I have ideas what I might use the motor for in the future, but no immediate plans for it now. So have it on a stand soaking with 50/50 atf/acetone. For several months and adding more as needed.

The cam gear is removed. Issue is either rings or bearings.

The cylinders are clean, no ridge, No size stamped on pistons appears to be stock bore. I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper ... Honestly would not be afraid to run them as is, if it was in a car and getting some other work done.
The oil is running past the rings and draining in the pan eventually.

The valves all look as if the engine was running normal, the last time it was running. While they are not all original with the Ford script logo, we know the engine did get a valve job done in the past.

Here is what I think has happened with this engine in the past.
Pull the pan and the crank is stamped .020.
I think the Farmer over revved it, spun a bearing and had the engine gone through & repaired.
Then he spun a bearing again! .... and parked it. Bet he had a few choice words to say about it too. I think this will be a fine engine with a bit of love.
Not much progress but a update. I hope to get it tore down and to a machine shop for a checkup. Will disassemble it without rotating, hope the offending bearing is easy to get to.

Now I have 2 questions hoping someone can help me with.

1, The pressure plate. I messed up and took it apart. Going to be tricky to compress the springs and put it back together.
The surface needs cleaned but no wear marks, the body & springs have dust on them, it appears to be a new pressure plate when the motor was last worked on.
Is it as simple as just compress the body and install the bolts and torque them down?
Or is there some special voo doo magic needed to assemble a pressure plate?
Need to clean the bench off and wondering if to re-use it or toss it and replace?

2, Having problems understanding how the fuel pump rod works. I want to disassemble for machine shop. Not sure if it is pressed in or is it threaded?
I did put some vice grips on it, did not budge.
This motor did have the mouse nest here, Not sure if it is rusted from mouse pee ... should they just pull out? Are they always difficult? Then the tube is hollow but has no exit point .... is it even needed? Whats it's purpose? Does it run off the cam gear and move up & down to operate the fuel pump?
I know and apologize, stupid questions a correct book could answer ... Just trying to get it to a machine shop & clean bill of health before putting any more money into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0829210951.jpg (52.4 KB, 18 views)
Los_Control is offline   Reply With Quote