View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1934 cabriolet lowering

Putting a dropped axle in the front is the easiest way to accomplish that end of the deal - with the assumption you're using the same tires/wheels and are running hydraulic brakes. Some folks will "rubber rake" it by running smaller tires/wheels in the front - which can bring the front down some more.

Note: With original mechanical brakes, about the only thing you can do is get a reversed eye spring . . . along with some "rubber rake". It is a real issue trying to drop an axle and run the stock mechanical brakes - due to how the cross-shafts come into the king pins.

Keep in mind, that if you're running a stock wishbone and a later flathead with the wider rear oil-pan, then you may not be able to run a reversed eye spring as it can cause the wishbone to hit the oil pan in the rear area of the pan.

The rear is a harder deal in that there are only two ways to lower it (without frame mods) - and they may not get you all the way there:

1) You can run longer shackles - the old cheap and easy way. The only issue is that you can get a lot more "shackle sway" in the suspension (due to them being longer). I don't like doing things that make my handling worse (around corners).

2) You can modify the spring: You can remove leaves and/or get a reversed eye main leaf. It will probably take a combination of BOTH to achieve 2.5" of lowering.

I would probably go for option #2 - it is the best overall approach, though it costs more money. Isn't that the way it always goes! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)