View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Default Re: 55 T-Bird power seat

"The ... seat motors ... will work on 12V, but they will run very fast. The seat motor running too fast should be no problem." (from this link...)
https://www.ctci.org/battery-for-6v-to-12v-conversion/

The 6v seat motors in my 12v converted '55 Bird work fine if I ever use them, instead of just leaving the seat all the way back & down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
I don't think that the motors would be bad because you have 2 circuit breakers ahead of the relays and the motors. I would first check to make sure that you have power to the control switch,( the 4 way toggle switch) and than go from there. If there is no power at the switch,than follow the b-w wire from the switch back to the acc.terminal of the ignition switch. In that line that comes off the ignition switch,you will find a circuit breaker.
There are 2 circuit breakers in the seat electrical system and if I am not mistaken,they are both under the instrument panel. I would not replace any parts until you know where the problem is. just my opinion. Good luck.
Times 2, that's always a good opinion.

The '55 Bird wiring diagram I have shows two main power wires to the seat motor controls with a circuit breaker in each.
One wire is from the Accessory terminal of the Ign switch and the other comes from the Battery terminal of the starter solenoid.
You can start at the power source(s) with a volt meter or test light and work toward the motors until you come across a connection without available power.
Since the car wiring was likely bumped around a bit while being worked on the problem may be a lack of power or ground, often somewhere simple. (like the broken circuit breaker I found under the dash)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-12-2019 at 07:09 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote