Thread: Awwe Crap!
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Awwe Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Thanks Mart, I will run home and take some pictures of what I have...I don't believe the attachment points are bolted on but will check. I'm certain it's a broken axle. In neutral with the engine running, there's a slow and steady clink, clink, clink coming from the rear end and when I put my ear on the axle tube, it's clear the noise is coming from within. I can also grab the left rear tire and rock it back and forth with quite a bit of movement...it never did that before.
I mentioned that this will be a driveway project but failed to mention that once the axle is out of the car, I can set up a table in the garage and work on it inside...I just can't fit the whole car in there...sigh!
In neutral with engine running you hear a clink clink clink?? This would not necessarily mean a broken axle to me because the rear gears should not be turning when trans is in neutral. What does the speedometer head do when engine is running, transmission is in gear, and clutch pedal is all the way out, and what type of noise do you hear at the rear then? Keep in mind that noises can travel on the drive train. What noises you think are coming from the rear could actually be coming from the front area of the torque tube (i.e. U joint area), or the transmission, and vice versa.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-07-2016 at 11:11 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote