Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #205
Tod

Default Re: New block

Lots of good stuff being posted here! I am plodding along on the design. It is moving along as I have time.

Given that my block may be non-sanctioned by most bodies I am thinking of making the underside metal wall, where the exhaust manifold flanges bolt, a straight flat surface from front to rear. Since it won't help or hurt sanctioning I figured it would add a little coolant capacity and straighten out the flow a little. Opinions?

I'm also wondering about port flow improvement. Design will be restricted by the stock diameter (1.031) valve guides. I have decided that I will stick with stock on this so that machining the lifter bores is not driven by special tooling and headaches from smaller diameter guides. I may change my mind if I can get a tool to do it with, say a .750 diameter guide. Anyway, if I stick with stock size the ports are pretty much restricted by the location of the guides. The only solution would be to be able to drop the guide down about .120, but then I would need to drop the spring seat area down the same amount so that the clip will slide around the guide underneath the seat. That "solution" would compress the spring more, though. That might create a problem. Ideas?

I'll get back about other points being brought up asap.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote