View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 02:02 AM   #14
john charlton

Default Re: Model A cracked block

From the picture this looks like a rust hole from the inside of the block . This is a favourite place for rust through I have seen the same damage in other blocks . This means the block is thin elsewhere. If it were mine I would not attempt any weld repair you will just chase the hole around the block and then it really will be junk . First clean all rust out of the block a good vacuum cleaner magnetic screwdrivers etc etc . Clean the back end of the block and make up a large steel or aluminum plate to suit well covering the damaged area. You will have to take you time to find wall thickness that can be drilled and tapped . When you have made everything and ready to go mix up some JB Weld and coat the patch and bolt it to the block . I would use coarse thread 3/8" short bolts no washers required spaced about 2" apart just common sense really . Use a good antifreeze to halt further rusting .The patch would not be seen when the engine is in . You will have to put a dimple in the patch to clear the bracket bolts . Could last for years and years and a cheap repair .Worth a try for sure .

John in sunny morning locked down Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote