View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #14
duke36

Default Re: Sidemount Spare Installation Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I had a 1932 Plymouth PB that had twin sidemounts ,tires fit fine until new Coker BF Goodrich tires. Tires were over 3" diameter more than stated diameter and over 4" than the forty year old Cokers.Only way they would fit in tirewells were without air. Will not make the same mistake on the '31 Model A.
Understood. I have new Lucas tires which fit perfectly in the wells. I deflate the tires to about 20 psi to get them more pliable then angle them over the mounting arm to allow the plate to just slide in. Then attach the studs, etc. I prep'd the original studs as MAG did in post 3. The wheel/ tire moves up and down in the plate stud. Then inflate the tires to 30-32 psi.
My question is how tight to make the arm nuts at frame and wheel plate to prevent rattling and squeaking. If leaving them loose allows less stress on the fender well area, fine, or whether the wheel and fender should be snug as a unit.
Also, am told that arm to frames could be either riveted solid or bolt mounted depending on whether factory or dealer installed which would indicate solid mounting at the frame.

Last edited by duke36; 02-12-2020 at 11:38 AM.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote