View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Help she no go....

Timing and brake rod adjustment seems to be the main problem that most have .. When the timing pin drops in place , I loosen the distributor cam and adjust so that the TRAILING edge of the rotor tip aligns exactly with the number one contact in the distributor cap . Most model A's have some ROTATIONAL free play in the distributor shaft , that I call backlash . Make sure that all of the backlash is in the counter clockwise direction when the cam screw is tightened or the timing will end up retarded to whatever amount of rotational backlash that is allowed to remain after the cam screw is tightened . It usually takes a few tries To get the backlash correct when present . There are distributor cam wrenches sold that makes this adjustment easier . If the timing is the least bit retarded it will never have the pep and power that it should have and it will run higher temps . I would also check the gaps at the rotor tip . Ford recommended a conservative gap of .025 . More gap will give hotter spark at the spark plugs . I set my gap at the rotor tip at .035 . If more gap scares you then set the gap at .025 and it will be at Ford specs . As for dry plugs , If the compression is real low , it may not have enough suction to pull the gas up to the combustion chambers . The engine could have flooded and washed the oil from around the rings. When the oil gets washed away from the rings , compression can be lost to a great degree . Pour a little oil in the cylinders like Pat recommends in post number seven .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote