Thread: Restorations
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Restorations

I'd like to put this in a different prospective. We old timers can remember back when ther wasn't anu power steering and brakes and the turning ratio of the steering war 4/5 turns. For us, no problem, get a suaside knob. Next cones the cost of just reparing the old stuff. The weak link is the drive train, steering and brakes. After you pass this car on our young folk won't consider driving it fun. Why spend the money and time fixing a Banjo rear or installing a columbia rear. Can you consider how difficult it would be to repair these in another 20 or 30 years. Many replace the machinacle brakes with the 39/48 system, not much of an improvement. For the same price you could go to Disk brakes. Last but not least Wheels, the wide five and 5 on 5 1/2 are getting harder to find. Today the 4 3/4 and 4 1/2 are common place. And when you replace all the wiring, think 12 volts. Your grand son just might keep it. I know this will rub some people the wrong way, I'm just trying to save these old cars so our future generations can have the fun of driving them as we do.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote