View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
Cadillac Bill

Default Re: What year is my engine?

Russ, help me out, here. It appears that Ford made engines separately from the frames. Then the engines were installed in frames making a complete car. But sometimes the engine might fail and a new engine was installed in an older frame.

Seems to me that trying to identify the year of a particular car by the VIN / Serial number on the block would be uncertain. It further appears that the earlier *than 1926* frames were not stamped by numbers.

Later Model T cars have been updated and sometimes called "salad" as parts from different cars were put together "hodgepodge assembly."

I am very much willing to learn. I am very new in understanding Model T cars. It seems to me that I should focus on the parts I have before me and what other needed parts integrate.

I apparently have a 1914/1915 block. I should be looking at what parts are appropriate if needed.

I bought a 1913 Speedster and people have been telling me that it is not a 1913, perhaps it has a 1914 block. Now there may be some frame modifications that could have been updated? And furthermore since Ford did not make speedsters, who knows and what hands and what periods contributed?

I am not trying to argue, just willing to learn.

In conclusion, Model T cars are very mysterious, unique, cars and have a group of people with various opinions that stray into almost metaphysical realms! Hey, I am one of these!

I have other speedsters. For instance I have a 1913 Marmon Speedster 48B built by Marmon, 145 inch wheelbase! The only speedster 48B built in 1913, two more were built in 1914. No more made. Mine has vin numbers on the engine, the frame and other places, so sure this is a 1913 Marmon 48B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill and Anne with Marmon (1).jpg (67.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2113.jpg (64.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2645.jpg (87.3 KB, 11 views)

You can dissect a Model T, but you can't kill it!

Last edited by Cadillac Bill; 01-29-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Cadillac Bill is offline   Reply With Quote