View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Pete

Default Re: Valve spring issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambies View Post
I recently purchased a new set of modern valves and springs from a reputable company. I installed them for a short duration then removed them because I needed to do some head work prior to moving on. I am now ready to install when I noticed that one spring is shorter than the others by about 0.25 in... I would imagine that this difference will cause a difference in spring pressure compared to the others. I have a mild cam so I’m looking for a 60# pressure. No access to spring tester so I may set up the bathroom scale. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this? I don’t like the fact that they are different lengths. I may have to purchase a new set or find some v8 springs with spacers. Thanks!
Do not even bother measuring those springs. They have 2 strikes against them right out of the box.

Go ahead and set up your bathroom scale on your drill press. You will need it to check the springs you finally use. 60 lb. will be fine for street use with most any cam.

Changing to V8 or any other springs can bring it's simple rewards such as dampers or it can be a nightmare having to make spring seats, regroove valves and buy different retainers. If you are not familiar with changing spring sizes, stick with stock replacements and shim them if they will go to 60. Be sure to check each spring for coil bind when installed.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote