View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #61
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: NEW starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
V8COOPMAN
Thanks for "hanging" in there for me. The sol DID work when originally put in a week and a half ago. Just a bad one or could something have caused it to fail??
Will update when I get new sol.
Paul in CT

Hey Paul.....As I tried to briefly describe what I believe happened to your solenoid earlier on, I've about concluded that the plunger inside has somehow seized in the "CLOSED" (START) position. In other words, the plunger is holding the contacts permanently connected electrically.

The inside of that type of solenoid looks SOMETHING like the drawing below IN THEORY.

In this drawing, imagine the two vertical posts coming out the top of the drawing as the TWO BIG POSTS on either side of your solenoid. One post has the BATT cable. The other post has the cable going to STARTER.

When you push your starter button, that SMALL post in the center of your solenoid becomes grounded. This action causes an electro magnetic force to move a plunger inside the solenoid. When it moves to it's extreme, it causes a contact plate to electrically connect BOTH of those BIG POSTS (like the THREE heavy-black-colored pieces toward top of drawing). When those two posts are connected like that, the starter RUNS.

It would be easy for that flat, BLACK bar in the drawing to become so hot that it could have welded itself to those two HEAVY BLACK posts, thus....causing your starter to be connected directly to your BATTERY CONTINUOUSLY!

Your OHM meter proved that SOMETHING is connecting those two posts INTERNALLY. Solenoid "NO WORKIE"! What 'cha think, Paul?

One suggestion MAYBE....Don't EVER continuously try to crank & crank & crank the engine if it does not start in a reasonable amount of time. Give those contacts inside the solenoid a chance to cool down before continuing to crank on starter. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 10-23-2021 at 10:18 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote