View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Confirmed, VIN problem that has always bothered me. What would you do?

Do not change the VIN!

My Victoria had a 1929 engine number on the registration when I bought the car. During the car's restoration, I found the original VIN stamped into the frame. I photographed the VIN on the frame and finished restoring the car. I also stamped the original VIN on the rebuilt engine in the car. The 1929 engine was sold.

When I tried to register the car in New York, the DMV gave me a case number and had me take the car to a local DMV investigator. The investigator wanted to take the car away for having an altered VIN which is against the law. The investigator also wanted me to take the body off so he could see the original VIN on the frame. He also wanted proof of where the 1929 engine went. The DMV did not get my car, the body did not come off, but it took me a year and a half to get it registered.

Today my Victoria is registered with a new VIN and a new engine number imposed by the DMV. Oh by the way, the DMV denied my use of year of manufacture plates because of the registration fiasco.