View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #144
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
One last question and I promise not to bother you again.....put the drum on and put in that small gasket & washer....screwed the bolt on and if I tighten too tight in order to get the cotter pin in....the wheel is tight to turn the wheel. If I back it off just a touch so I can put in the cotter pin......the wheel turns fine.
Sooooo...question is .....would the nut be too loose by just backing it off a bit ?

Thx....Mike
Hey Mike.....You say...."the wheel is tight to turn the wheel". Did you mean to say something like:

"If I tighten the NUT enough to line-up the holes, neither the wheel nor axle will turn"?

And then, if you loosen the nut ONE notch, the wheel and axle WILL turn?

IF THIS is what is happening, I would think that there is a problem that needs, at the least, some serious scrutiny. Kurt addresses some real possibilities in post #142 above. It's hard for me to imagine tightening that nut only one notch's worth, and having enough effect that it moves the drum inboard enough to hinder rotation. Almost makes me consider a cracked hub in that drum, or possibly even a crack at the inboard end of the axle keyway, and man, I hope it ain't THAT. Generally, I wouldn't feel badly about loosening the nut ONLY one notch (although you ain't supposed to), but there is certainly something ELSE going-on there that needs to be rectified. But WTF do I know? Happy Thanksgiving, Mike! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote