Thread: Which PS fluid
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
rotorwrench

Default Re: Which PS fluid

The first time I ran into type F/A I was thinking, what the hell is this, so it checked further and it is a conglomeration of variations of the Type F. Type A and Type F are and have been considered obsolete for some time and as such, they are no longer regulated. In other words, you can mark them however you want to if your in the business of marketing ATF unless someone has a trademark on the type. I think it's an iteration of type F and type A grafted together but I can't prove anything since few even show the Ford specification numbers on them any more. They can avoid trademark infringement problems if they change the lettering.

The type F was developed as a high friction fluid for Ford transmissions that were manufactured before a certain date (replaces type A and type B) or those that have the ESW-M2C33-F spec stamped on the dip stick. It works well in certain type fluid pumps too. Any Ford transmission that has metal clutch plates can benefit from having a fluid with high friction characteristics. Some drag racers like to use it for harder lock up on launch in any transmission from GM to Mopar.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-27-2020 at 12:16 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote