View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Brake floater kit A-2051-F review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
It basically allows the brake shoes to self center in the drum. The roller tracks must be within original specs for this to work correctly.

I agree . On the other hand if the tracks are worn they will need to be built up to overcome the wear . If the shoes are too high and off center the tracks will need to be ground down to overcome the height of the shoes. This is how the upper end of the shoes can be centered . To acurately center the shoes within the drum . Some sort of centering tool will be needed to show which direction the shoes will need to go . The centering tool doesn't actually center the shoes , it only shows the direction that the shoes must go . The floater kit with the pin only gives side to side centering of the lower end of the shoes . The centering process that I have mentioned for the upper end of the shoes doesn't solve the centering issue permantly. After the tracks get a dip worn in , the shoes drop to the level of the worn level of the tracks. When the lining is replaced the up and down centering will be off so much that the drums won't slip back over the shoes. This is when the lower tracks will need to be reworked to once again to center the up and down of the shoes. I've never used Teds brake centering system . I know the shoe connection must be different at the top because the method of adjustment is different . The upper adjustment wedge is no longer used and it is obvious that the system is no longer original .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote