Thread: Cost of Paint
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Tim

Default Re: Cost of Paint

This is just my opinion but here goes. I have used the Expensive stuff for my '54 Chevy and it's black with a clearcoat. It looks great, but it would have also looked great in single stage enamel and cost alot less. I thought because I was doing a full well done car I needed to step up. Truthfully Centari black would have been as pretty. I don't know what colors you are using but there is a wide range based on that as well. Reds are very expensive. But if you can find a Centari dealer who has original formulas you will be big money ahead. Dupont makes Centari. If no formulas are available you can match the originals if your paint guy has some time under his belt. Elmer's Auto Parts in Salinas California still carries this and has a great paint guy. The great thing about single stage is that you can spot it in, it rubs out beautifully and it has that "original" look about it. I'm not knocking the two stage but after painting alot of stuff I still prefer the old single stage luster and when I paint my '29 it'll be with that. Another thing is to have your primer tinted towards the finished color, that will save you topcoats and provide a much truer color.

Good luck,

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote