View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #20
Synchro909

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings - Timken part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The original rear wheel bearings were made with spiral grooves in the roller elements. The material is also softer than the current repos. The repos do not have the spirals and are very hard and tend to wear the axle housing hubs. The original design was an overkill and many of the original bearings have survived in serviceable condition. I see them at swap meets all the time. I recommend using only the originals.

Tom Endy
Tom, with my conversion, the rollers will not run on the axle housing hubs. They are a complete bearing with inner and outer tracks.
I'd be happy to use the original setup if the new hubs or the repair sleeves were of decent quality and decent rollers were available. It is a very different scene over here and the parts you guys take for granted are not to be seen. I've been to swap meets and not seen any Model A stuff at all.
I intend doing my conversion in such a way that should the new bearings not prove durable enough, they can be replaced easily, even roadside.