View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Chevy distributors for a flathead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I occasionally build these distributors and my process is to keep the weights
that are part of a particular distributor with that distributor to insure the contour
of the weights and the 'driver' on the rotor shaft match.....it's just the way I do it.

I choose springs that return the weights to the 'driver' smoothly, not abruptly, that
gets me in the ball park. For maximum advance control all the distributors I've built
in the last few years feature an adjustable stop vs the bushing commonly used. This
stop allows infinite control of max adv without messing with limit bushings. The ad-
justment is by means of an allen set screw and is done with the distributor in place
in the motor.
The machining is not too difficult but you should be somewhat proficient

with lathe and milling work. After building the first distributor of this type for my personal use it became clear that using a set screw to hold the dist in the timing cover was not a good idea....at least that is how i viewed it. Holding the dist in the timing cover is best done in my opinion by providing a clamping pad that duplicates
the Ford Loadamatic design, this method seems to work quite nicely, a bit time consuming but worth the effort.

Any how
PM me and I'll send you my drawings with all dimensions N/C.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote