View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Double bearing pinion sleeve imstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I put an aftermarket ring and pinion in a '48 rear. Only problem I had and I found out afterwards is that the two bearings on the pinion go on differently. The first should be, and it was, a nice press fit. The second, and it wasn't, is supposed to be a very close slip fit. The problem manifested itself in trying to set the preload. Because the second bearing was a press, it would "jump" small amounts as I was pressing it. First, there'd be very little preload, press a bit more, the bearing would jump a couple of thousandths and then, there'd be too much preload. I finally go it good but it would have been nicer if I had just taken a wee bit off of the "outer" end of the pinion shaft.
What I usually do is polish the pinion shaft then completely seal up the bearing with duct tape except for the I.D. And use a flapper wheel to polish the inside untill I get a slip fit on the pinion. The genuine Ford pinion bearings has one that's marked with a "P" and that's the one that goes on first and the other has a slip fit. It's almost impossible to achieve proper preload when the outer bearing is tight , it creates erroneous readings.

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 02-11-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote