View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Water Issues in a 31 Model A

Jon , I don't know what your experience with A s is, but be careful; with the carb. Some of them fall apart and some of them take a little more. When you take the 1 bolt that holds the whole thing together and it stays together, It's not the gasket that's holding it, it's the venturi ! Ford zenith Carbs have a removable venturi. (In all my years of playing with engines I have never seen anything like this before) These venturies get stuck and the carb must be soaked in a solvent to get it out. You can twist or pry it apart and the venturi will break on you. (don't how I know)plus you can deform a delicate little brass tube that goes from the top half to the bottom half. Soaking and tapping is the only non destructive method. A small amount of heat may be applied to the outside but remember that the venturi is made of pot metal/diecast and melts at a very low temperature.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLedbetter View Post
Thanks Terry I will do that in the next day or two. I'm trying to get it running right before our local cruise in on Friday this week. I was having timing issues and got that fixed. Now I have a slight gas leak around the Zenith carburetor, but I have a rebuild kit on the way for that. I'm also doing a full tune-up with plugs, wires, points, rotor button, and distributor body. Thank you guys again for the input.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote