View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #47
Fairview

Default Re: Misfiring and backfiring when engine is warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
I’ve been following this thread with keen interest lately as I had the same symptoms with my 29 Sport Coupe.

Summary is that it would start and idle, but after warming up and heading down the street I could feel it losing power, surging and popping, backfiring and not revving up. If I turned the GAV about a full turn, I could limp back home, but that was about all I could do. I checked everything with the carburetor, fuel supply, then ignition including coil polarity, no joy.

Today I replaced the nice old Ford script coil with a generic 6 volt coil for testing purposes and took a test drive. It runs great. So in my case, it was the coil that was the culprit. What threw me off the scent and had me thinking fuel issues was the improvement when opening the GAV.

I guess I’ll order another Ford script coil, but I’m going to run with the $19 one from O’Reilly for a while.
I just wanted to follow up on my own recent post. Several miles of driving today, several stops and starts all confirm the problem with my Model A was most certainly the coil.

It sure runs sweet and reliably now.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote