View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Default Re: Bonded or riveted brake shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Rotorwrench, If your drums get scored it is because you used steel rivets and did not check your linings when/if you greased your bearings. JMHO[/SIZE][/FONT]
John
John
For one, I didn't rivet them so I have no idea what the rivet material was or who did the work. For two, the scored drums were on customer cars that I worked on and didn't own. Many folks don't do any maintenance at all including some of the folks in our hobby. I don't pull the drums on my old Mercury cars very often unless I suspect a problem or I know the front wheel bearings need service. The bearings are sealed on the rear end so I only go in there at mileage intervals if there are no outward signs of problems.

The one bonded lining I had fail was in a later model 64 Thunderbird and had been in service for 20 years or so. It released from the surface and rotated until it was blocked by the opposite shoe. I could feel the drag when I hit the brakes but it made it home OK at a lower rate of speed. A brake job later and all was OK.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote