View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #271
51504bat

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Having just read a recent thread about a woodie rear fender and a gas door, is that how I should introduce gas into my future tank? Through a trap door in a rear fender?Being a truck, I can live with a visible gas cap as well. I'm using '42-47 pickup rear fenders. Also any advice on what to use for a fuel tank and how/where to mount it between the frame rails. I'd like to use something common I can find in a wrecking yard if possible. Thanks. Hoping to work on door latches as it's above freezing today in my unheated shop. My engine is coming along, but slower than I would like. I got my re-drilled flywheel back and maybe it goes on today after we go cut down a tree in the woods.
Check out a mid '60's Mustang or Cougar tank. IIRC the Couger had a slightly different fill than the Mustang but I could be wrong. If a stock tank from a '39 p/u would work I've got one that I replaced with a new one from Drake. Still has the original sending unit in it. Don't know what condition it is inside since I got a good deal on the new Drake unit during one of his 20% off free plus shipping Black Friday Deals a couple of years ago and he actually had it in stock. Still have the box Drake shipped it in so shipping would be easy or if my son gets a new job in Seattle I could probably bring it when we help move him north. Anyway, the tank is just taking up room in the shop and its yours if you think it will work. FWIW the truck was running fine when I took the tank out.