View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #12
Joe K

Default Re: Carrier bearing shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res731 View Post
The original bearings had spun, so I had the carriers knurled and the bearing seat trued up. Thus I'm having to add shims to account for the wear , just didn't know how many I would need. I have 3 on one side and 4 on the other and its stiff to turn but not locked. I haven't even gotten to adding the paper gaskets.
It sounds like you're headed in the right direction. But without original dimensions (face of carrier split to bearing seat) you'll be working sort of from scratch. Someone may be able to measure this? Or somewhere in cyberland someone has the drawing to which the carrier was made (we know the Ford drawings are extant - at a price.)

Scratch might work. Might be tedious since where you're headed is a certain amount of drag with the rear axle halves assembled to the pumpkin/banjo - and - to make matters more difficult - you then have to get your bluing (I use magic marker) and find where the pinion contact point is and adjust your gaskets to center that.

You with the shims will have UBER adjustability of relative carrier/bevel gear position - but that is the problem to get past.

Joe K