View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
jim1932

Default Re: Some Hershey Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bruce, regarding attendance being down, I have not attended the Hershey meet in several years, and several others that I know did not attend this year. For me personally, each day I live something very similar to what Hershey is for most folks. Each day I look on eBay and on certain classifieds looking for parts to purchase. Almost a day does not go by that I am not talking by phone or face-to-face with a fellow hobbyist. The only things I give-up by not attending Hershey is not wearing out a pair of shoes, -and the unrecoverable time & expenses associated with traveling to/from, -and all of the fees associated with attending.

In the States, we have the ability to easily find what we need from the comfort of our recliner if we are willing to put forth an effort. Getting it transported to us is not that hard either. I think many people now view attending Hershey with the same mindset as I have. The German collectors probably do not have the same luxuries as we have in that regard, and so they are coming for the Hershey experience that many of us have already had.
I only go one day, because it is usually all I can get off of work (and away from wifey). This was my third year. I usually find a benefit from A) heavy stuff: 32 transmission, set of bumpers, cast Iron high compression Model A heads. B) I have a model B which is more unusual. I can usually get B fuel pumps or other items way cheaper than online by finding them in other parts on a table.

I also enjoy seeing the stuff I don't buy, old motorcycles, flat head blowers, old cars etc. I will still go next year.