View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Mister Moose

Default Re: 2 tooth adjustment

I just did this, and at first the number of adjustments and descriptions were intimidating. Les Andrew's book is good, I also used Clymer Service Manual. The best though is the DVD I got through Bratton's: Diablo A's Rebuilding 2 Tooth Steering. Great hands on descriptions and you can watch each adjustment. There are 4:

1) Steering wheel shaft. This is the screw on the top of the housing. Adjusts end play in that shaft. (End play is back and forth along the length of the shaft) Too tight and you can crack the bearing.

2) Sector shaft end play. This is the screw on the engine side of the housing. Also adjusts end play, but on the sector shaft.

3) Sector mesh. This is the upper right bolt on the sector housing, there is a hex eccentric cam there. Adjusts how far into the worm the sector teeth penetrate. The odd thing is the mesh is not linear across the length of the worm. It gets tighter at each end, looser in the center which is steering straight ahead.

4) The eccentric rivet in between the lower two sector housing bolts. This evens out left and right differences (if any) in the sector mesh when evaluating any binding at the end limits of the steering. In #3 you feel the mesh tighten at the far left and right turns of the wheel. If the left and right are uneven, this is the adjustment.

There's lot more details to be aware of than this brief summary. Get some good manuals.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote