View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 10:43 PM   #10
Dave in MN

Default Re: Cost of Running Burtz Engine

Without any extras: In my motor shop, the cost of a Burtz long block without a flywheel and clutch would be $6,500.00
This is using a decked original head, reground original camshaft, new oil pump drive gear and a modified original oil pump that includes a pressure relief and greater flow.
Original and new parts are painted to meet judging standards. Add about $525.00 for a new Burtz flywheel, new V-8 style pressure plate, new ring gear, clutch disk and input shaft bearing. Add about $150 for an oil filter.

Others will have different costs.

From my cost records and recent builds, the cost of a Burtz engine is about $1,700.00 more than a Model A non-pressurized long block. Considering you are getting full oil pressure, 5 main journals @ 2" diameter, a fully counterweighted crankshaft, beefy rods and a rear main seal for $1,700 more than the cost of rebuilding an original block...I think it's a good deal.

I have Burtz engine #7 topped with a Miller High-Speed head in my '31 S/W Town Sedan with about 6,700 miles on it. I'm very satisfied with it.

I understand and respect those that long to keep the Model A's original and those who want a more durable engine or performance engine. To each his own...but I happen to be one of the latter.

Good Day!
www.durableperformance.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miller Hi-Speed topped Burtz.jpg (86.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Miller Burtz left engine bay.jpg (90.6 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Miller Burtz break-in.jpg (91.7 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 11-23-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote