View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #21
midgetracer

Default Re: Antifreeze cost comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I go to the junkyard with a clean barrel and a pump.I drop the hose into the top six inches of green in their tank,and turn it on.I do it on mondays when it has settled for a day or so.I use that in my A's and any old gas equipment or trucks around.I don't use it in anything modern or with wet sleeved diesel engines.While Sierra is fine for gas engines,I had a very bad experience with it in the lats 80's with a Cummins truck engine.When I did the engine over I figured I would be a good doobie and use Serria.In 10 months,just over 100,000 miles,I had two cylinder liners pinhole.At the base of the liner the coolant always boils away from combustion heat,the Sierra attacked the liner metal.This was common on those engines,but at 4-500,000,not at 100,000.Not only did I have to pay a lot for the Sierra,I got to go my engine again at less than 1/4 of it's expected time.
What you need for your Diesel engine is an Oxygen scavenger additive, usually contains a nitrite which ties up the oxygen in the antifreeze. The oxygen in the antifreeze is what causes the neatly drilled pinholes in the cylinder walls and ruins the engine. I could provide more info about antifreeze, but it only results in jokes or insults.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote