Thread: paint $$
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #28
Terry, NJ

Default Re: paint $$

I can tell you where the mentality originated with me, it was with buying and renting old houses. I started fixing up and renting older houses and selling them at a good profit and painting was such a big part of how people viewed it, Just as a car with good paint is seen as better than one without. Buying paint at good prices is very important to your profit picture. You soon discover "Mistints". They are cans (sometimes 5 gal buckets) of new, good quaiity paint that goes for pennies on the dollar. It is almost impossible to get white because these are rejected by someone for being the wrong shade. I had a tenant who loved the deep forest green and asked me to replace it when I was doing some work in her apartment. She was a nice lady and I didn't mind spending a little extra for her. As luck would have it, I found 2 gals of it in the mis tint shelf of the local paint store, $3 bucks a gal for a high quality paint that would have cost me $ 36 a gal. The old lady was very happy and so was I. I recently got 2 five gal buckets of semi gloss white for $15 @, again , very happy! They would have retailed for over $150 a bucket. This , plus a year or two of rent allows me to make a reasonable profit. In the past, my friend Dick and I were riding along in my truck and we saw some old steel cabinets (1950s) as greasy as they were, we loaded them up, took them back to his buildings where they were stored until he needed them for one of his houses, they turned out to be a perfect fit. Dick bought that property for $16 K (1970s) and rented it for $800 a month. It was four units. So, you can flip houses and cars and just about anything for a profit, we'd just like a little cooperation from the paint manufacturers.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You know, that is a comment I have never understood. Where did this mentality originate? Very, VERY, few commodities in life are items that you can get more at a sale than what you paid.

Generally folks have no problem understanding when they go purchase a new vehicle that 30 minutes after they bought it that it isn't worth what they gave for it. The lunch I purchased today is not worth what I gave for it now, ...or I go on about purchasing a new boat, motorcycle, RV, or whatever! So why do some think they must not put more money into something than what they can sell it for??

And, like it was pointed out to me, usually when someone sells something used for more than what they paid, someone other than that Seller got taken advantage of (--either they took advantage of the person they bought it from or misrepresented it to the new Buyer).
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote