Thread: paint $$
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: paint $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
A great discussion on this over at the AACA on a 1966 ish something or other Pontiac. The owner had the car for years and didnt want to restore it, but did want a mighty fine paint job.
Three shops refused to give an estimate, not knowing what they would encounter. All trim had to come off, bodywork, which was supposed to be very minor and then the finish. Finally a shop commits to around 25k, even though the owner knew it wasnt worth putting that much into, because it could never be gotten out, he agrees, because it was his pride and joy. Fast forward a year later and the bill is up to 40k and the car is still not done. The owner is sick and the shop, very reputable, has no idea what the final bill will be. A great thread with various viewpoints, as some of the views are from restoration shop owners.
A real conundrum!

I will never have this problem, as Maaco is alway good enough for me. I dont show any of my cars.

You know, that is a comment I have never understood. Where did this mentality originate? Very, VERY, few commodities in life are items that you can get more at a sale than what you paid.

Generally folks have no problem understanding when they go purchase a new vehicle that 30 minutes after they bought it that it isn't worth what they gave for it. The lunch I purchased today is not worth what I gave for it now, ...or I go on about purchasing a new boat, motorcycle, RV, or whatever! So why do some think they must not put more money into something than what they can sell it for??

And, like it was pointed out to me, usually when someone sells something used for more than what they paid, someone other than that Seller got taken advantage of (--either they took advantage of the person they bought it from or misrepresented it to the new Buyer).

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)