View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
flan30

Default Re: crank pulley issue

ok I was able to spend some time on the 29 today and raised the front of the engine as instructed and was surprised as to what I found the pulley actually threads onto the hub. When I first looked at it you could see that the pulley moved left to right free of the hub but when I tried to slide it off of the hub the hub moved with it. I spun the pulley counter clockwise and the pulley stopped yanked it back clockwise and kept spinning it and said son of a gun its threaded. Now I'm new to working on model A's but my father in law has owned his owned his 28 for fifty years and he's never seen one set up like this one. Any way looking at the way its designed with a left hand thread its not going to come off. I put a little blue Loctite on the threads when I put it back together and the ratchet nut just holds the hub onto or up against the crank timing gear and I double checked the ratchet nut is slightly larger than the pulley so even if it did loosen up again it can't get past the ratchet nut. Joe K you did mention that they made three types of crank pulleys is this one of them or is this some aftermarket set up.

Thank you again for your help.
Jim
flan30 is offline   Reply With Quote