View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
DannL

Default Re: Where oh where has all the gas gone?

Thanks for all the ideas. The car is running fine. . . in my opinion. Starts right up first or second crank (starter). The only leak I have is when the throttle and or shut-off valve are left open. then it will drip a drop every few seconds from the carburetor. Only a very weak smell of gas around the carburetor after driving. The float seems okay. I looked in the tank and the float is floating. Added two gallons today and it came up to 1/4 tank. The float is a brass type bulb, and floats like a cork, at present. The exhaust appears clear . . . no smoke. I guess I'll need to get more analytical about this. I think she is about 50 years overdue for a carburetor rebuild. I'll definitely let everyone know if I locate the source of this anomaly. I was expecting to have at least a half tank left. Gremlins siphoning gas from my car?. :-)

PS. Measured the gas in the tank with a stick before adding two gallons. There was about 1.25 inches. The float was floating on the gas then, and after adding more gas. I'll start her up in the morn. when there's plenty of light. Can't recall examining the carburetor for dripping when the engine was running.

Last edited by DannL; 08-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote