View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #41
hardtimes

Default Re: How much better is a B block than an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4christ View Post
Thanks @hardtimes I know "luck" has very little to do with it!

I'm wanting a simple early pre-war hopped up Sedan that I'm not afraid to drive around town and maybe on some backroads. No speed demons here!

As far as acquiring knowledge, I've already ordered the Breirley book and I have both Les Andrews books. They will be my references going forward.

My hope is to piece together a sound engine from most of what I have. If it becomes a money hole, I'll part out the motor and move on with an off-topic powerplant.

And BTW, I'm on the right coast!

Hey brett,
Sounds like you are getting a handle on moving forward thru knowledge.

A note about your original question.
Everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to that, IMV !
My experience is that hearsay is too often used to distract from fact/truth,eh. Myself, I only use B blocks for the same reasons they were made by Ford instead of continuing A blocks.
I spoke with a very senior member here, who told me that he has done experimentation with A and B blocks, i.e.- 'cutting them up' to examine them to prove or disprove 'old wives tales' about block differences/deck thickness, etc. He says that he did not find evidence to support the tooo often repeated myths of differing block thickness.
Now, understanding that most existing 80 some year old A/B blocks have gone thru use doing their existence, it would be common sense that HOW such blocks were used/abused , is a major factor in their cast iron thickness. It is also a fact, that BOTH blocks crack. Freeze cracks; improper storage abuse rusting away; overheating cracks; foundry flaws and whatever the cause/effect.

Some time ago, I went to a 'rebuilder' of A/B engines. I had two A blocks. He took one as a core and knocked the side out of the other with a hammer. He took the BO block out back and placed it on a pile of about 50+ blocks (scrap metal). Most of what I say and what he advised were A blocks, I bought a nos Russian B block from him and we proceeded from there. What does that tell you ? Doesn't tell me a darn thing, but that scrap iron was cheap per 100wt.

Finally, there are guys here/otherwise who I have tried to learn from, who ONLY use B blocks..ever. What does that tell you (insert smiley quizzical face here) ! Your choice, your money.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote