View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default Trying to find the source of a blown starter fuse.

I own a 1929 Model A Briggs body pickup. I purchased it from the family of a deceased friend. I had been told that
there was a short, possibly in the headlights that caused the starter fuse to blow.
I had the lights on during my first test drive and experienced a blown fuse. Not having time to search out the problem, I have only driven it in the daylight hours and have not turned on the lights.

I spent today, looking for the cause. First of all, the truck has an original light bundle housing, not a repo one with problems. I took it apart and it seemed fine, with no steering column oil. The wire loom assembly looks fairly new.

I checked the headlight wiring and it appeared to be fine. The wires go directly onto the headlight shell and connect to new bulb socket assemblies. I dont see any problems. There is no bullet wires plugging into the plastic holder.

Next i checked out the brake light switch. It is original too. I disassembled it and found it in good working order. It was a little oily and I removed the oil.

Finally I checked out the tail lights and brake lights and found nothing unusual.

There is a third brake light, high on the back of the cab that is not working. I'm wondering if there might be a hot wire in it that could be grounding out. Hope to check it out tomorrow.

In summary, I found nothing today that might be causing the fuse to blow, but i will keep looking.

Do any of you have some suggestions on what I might have missed?

I plan on taking it for a test drive over the weekend, with the lights on, but I'm not hopeful.

Thank you.

Neil

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote