Thread: Engine question
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #20
Dave in MN

Default Re: Engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
This question is for someone who has a running Burtz engine. What is the cost to get to a running Burtz engine ready for installation into a Model "A"?
Bob,
There are lots of variables as to the parts you use and how comfortable you are with doing some or all of the assembly yourself.

I build engines and I currently have a Burtz kit in my shop 90% assembled. I am waiting on some parts to finish it. I ran through the cost of a recent engine build where the owner needed a replacement block and I supplied him with a crack free block for $300.00. The finished engine was a running longblock and the cost included running it on a dyno for three hours to break it in, verify no leaks and heat cycle it three times and re-torque the head each time.

I took the itemized list of parts needed for this original engine rebuild and I added a column for the costs associated with building up a Burtz engine.
The cost difference in this illustration was between $2350.00 and 2650.00 more for the Burtz engine.

If I were to compare it to an original A engine modified for full oil pressure, the cost would be between $1150 and $1450 additional for the Burtz block.

If you were capable of doing all the assembly yourself you could have a Burtz engine for under $5,500.00 That's a bargain for what you are getting. Having almost completed the assembly of one Burtz engine, it appears the time is about equal to what it takes to assemble an insert bearing converted original engine.

I left the cost of shipping from California to the buyers location out of all the calculations as it is going to be different depending on your location. If you shipped an original engine to a shop to have it rebuilt, you would have that cost anyway. The shipping of the kit was about $215 to Minnesota.

Comparing an original engine modified for oil pressure to a Burtz kit is like comparing apples to grapefruit. Not even close to each other. (FYI: That's further apart than apples to oranges!)

I have attached a PDF of the spreadsheet if you are interested.

Good Day!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Original vs. Burtz Kit.pdf (206.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-30-2021 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Add spreadsheet
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote